Monday, August 8, 2011

The Creation of Eve by Lynn Cullen


Score: 3/5

Featured Historical Figures: Sofonisba Anguissola, Michaelangelo Buonarotti, Phillip II of Spain

The Creation of Eve is a story from the perspective of Sofonisba Anguissola, a female painter of Renaissance Italy. I didn't expect much from this novel since I had never heard of Sofonisba nor had I read anything else by the author. While I enjoyed being introduced to a person in history who isn't widely known, I feel that there could of been more to this story.

The Creation of Eve is a well-written light read and when I turned the last page I didn't feel disappointed but I can't say I felt completely fulfilled, either. I believe part of Cullen's intent with this story was to write about someone different and I appreciate that. I mean, really, how many people ever heard of a female painter in the Renaissance who studied with Michelangelo? I also really liked the inclusion of a little history of the coca leaf but that's just me - I have a thing for plants. There were some really unique details in this book and for those alone I recommend giving this a read.

Other reads I'm looking forward to by Lynn Cullen:

No comments:

Post a Comment